I was elected to Waterford City & County Council in May 2019. Since then it has been my honour to work for the people of Waterford. I am the Leader of the Sinn Féin group on Waterford Council.
Some of the issues that I am currently working on:
- Addressing the lack of housing supply that makes it impossible for young people to set up homes in their own towns and villages through increased supply of public and affordable housing and council support for cooperative housing projects
- Supporting local efforts to promote positive mental health, tackle isolation, and give communities the resources and training to address issues of suicide and self-harm.
- Opposing any carbon tax hikes that penalise households. Corporate polluters must be forced to take responsibility for their emissions.
- Promoting sustainable rural development and job creation through better coordination of funds and supports, with a greater emphasis on social enterprise and community job creation.
- Advocating for quality, dependable jobs that give young workers stability, a decent living and the opportunity to build a future in Co Waterford
- Tackling crime and antisocial behaviour through a multi-agency approach, more public lighting, an emphasis on community policing, and increased resources for communities.
- Acting locally to protect our environment and eco-system by limiting single-use plastics, raising awareness, investing in the circular economy, and maintaining habitats for pollinators and native flora and fauna.
- Enhancing our shared spaces and the public realm, including parks, walkways, and beaches to make them more accessible for all people, including those with disabilities.
In addition to being a member of the Waterford City & County Council, I also represent my constituents on the following bodies:
- Dungarvan-Lismore Municipal District Council
- Housing, Community, Culture, Sport & Recreation Committee
- Economic Development & Enterprise Committee
- Association of Irish Local Government
- Waterford Joint Policing Committee
- HSE Regional Health Forum South
- Southern Regional Assembly
- European Committee of the Regions